June 17, 2007

How Sleep Affects Your Weight

This is from Dr. Weil's newsletter:

Research suggests that appetite-regulating hormones are affected by sleep and that sleep deprivation could lead to weight gain. In two studies, people who slept five hours or less per night had higher levels of ghrelin - a hormone that stimulates hunger - and lower levels of the appetite-suppressing hormone leptin than those who slept eight hours per night. So make sure getting adequate sleep is near the top of your optimum health checklist!


Yeesh! I have interrupted sleep due to insomnia--have trouble falling asleep and then I get up early to get Tomas off to school. So if I take a nap later and I have a total of 7 hours, does that help? Or do I need to get 8 hours uninterrupted? Have to check this out...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can relate. I have had trouble getting to sleep for the past couple years.