June 15, 2008

Healthy Snacks

Keeping snacks around the house is a necessary evil for my husband TB and me in case our sugar gets low. When that happens, we need a quick carb pick-me-up and the healthier the better.

The best choices begin at the bottom of the food pyramid and contain 15 grams of carbohydrate per serving. Good options include air-popped popcorn, baked tortilla chips and salsa, graham crackers, pretzels, bagels, and cereal.

Fresh fruits and vegetables also make excellent snacks, and they're portable. To make a snack more substantial, add a source of low-fat protein, such as a glass of low-fat milk. Add reduced-fat peanut butter to a slice of bread or a bagel, low-fat cheese on crackers, or a slice of turkey breast on whole-wheat bread.


These are snacks that won't put on the pounds as quickly as the junk will.

Now I have to figure out a snack that I can carry along with me. I have emergency sugar tablets in my purse at the moment and in a real pinch, they'll do.

No comments: