September 21, 2005

Update

I've been feeling better as each day goes by. I'm not able to exercise yet but I began driving a little the other day and I figure I'll be able to go to a WW meeting next week. Once I'm sure I won't fall I'll begin to exercise again.

I lost some more weight after having the surgery and have been trying to watch what I eat. My daughter's 17th birthday was on Monday and it was too hard not to have a piece of cake. Next time, though, we'll get a much smaller cake. It didn't need to be big enough to last 2 days!

I was just reading an article about how more obese seniors are opting to get gastric bypass surgery to improve the quality of their lives. It seems like such a good thing, doesn't it? Still, I've read more and more about people who've had the surgery who are slowly gaining the weight back...and it seems that they don't lose everything they need to in the first place.

Before I go tinkering with my insides, I have to thoroughly buy into a permanent lifestyle change. It can't be, oh, well, I can eat this or that fattening thing every now and then. The reason why it can't is because "every now and then" inevitably becomes every day. Eating some of these foods is like drinking too much alcohol. I cannot have just a little bit. That's why I want to go through Weight Watchers first, all the way through maintenance. I think I would have a better chance of sticking to a healthier lifestyle permanently.

The article about seniors and gastric bypass is here.

No comments: