October 22, 2005

Portion Size Shock

For week 2, Heidi and I got booklets called "Portion Smart" (from Weight Watchers. Our leader stresses that Weight Watchers doesn't try to tell us what we can or cannot eat. All they ask of us is to stay within our point limits for the day or week.

It seemed so easy years ago.

I think it's because portion sizes have become so much bigger. I looked through the booklet to get an idea of portion sizes. It's a bit of a shock!

A serving size of cereal is like a tennis ball. Only my tiniest Tupperware bowl holds that amount. All of my cereal bowls hold at least 2 cups or more.

A side dish--like mashed potatoes or baked beans--should be about the size of my computer mouse. Whaaat! You mean that stuff isn't supposed to fill the huge dinner plate?

A portion of fish would be the size of a cassette tape. Good. I don't like fish anyway. However, all the meat I do like -- steak, pork & chicken -- also should be about the size of a cassette tape.

A mouse and a cassette tape...this is supposed to make me feel full? Thank God for vegetables!

1 comment:

Low Flying Angel said...

Shit! They are tiny eh?