November 09, 2005

Encouragement

My 17 year old daughter left me messages of encouragement on each page of my food diary, how thoughtful and sweet! And it strengthens my resolve not to give up because she is along for the ride now too.

My darling husband (dh) TB found an online article about binging from the APA. At first I felt very discouraged, thinking how hard a battle I've been fighting only to suddenly binge thoughtlessly and without control. The article does help me understand why binging happens and it's not totally hopeless--as long as I keep away from the junk and don't "diet" (deprive myself).

Here is what I have to figure out: how to combat hunger pangs after I've had normal sized portions of stuff. Example: the night before last, I had eaten up to my points except for having an apple. I had that as my snack.

It wasn't long, though, before I suddenly felt ravenous. I craved my old enemy, cheese, and it so happened (unfortunately) I had some in the house. Well, I'll just have an ounce, I said to myself. I sat back down to watch TV after having the cheese and I was just filled with this overwhelming desire to get "just one more ounce". Well, I ate about half the block (4 oz) of cheese before I stopped myself.

So how do I deal with that?

No comments: