August 30, 2005

Reading the Charts

As my surgery date approaches and I realize I have not lost a single pound, I think to myself: what could I have done differently?

One thing: I could have logged more faithfully.

Second thing: I could have printed out the logs I did have and try to analyze them to see what I've been doing wrong. That's the thing...it's not just about writing it down. It's also about being honest about what you ate and then trying to figure out where the problem is. If charts and numbers are boring, this is the point to sail on to another blog.

Okay, so I went back and looked at one of my worst weeks. This is how it averaged out:



























Where Did My Calories Come From in August??
Total Calories = 1780

GramsPercent% Total
Fat8475543
Carbs17764137
Fiber1600


The first thing I saw, to my dismay, was that I wasn't getting nearly enough fiber as I thought I should have been! It doesn't even show up as a percentage. What about all the wonderful fruits and vegetables I was eating? Unless...I was taking in too much fat, that was very clear. Where was it all coming from?

I took my food diary and looked at it. I wish there was a way to import the entries over here but I can't do that anymore unless I buy a kit and I don't want to do that. I got my daughter's help to create a table and it's taken me the last couple of hours to get one day's menu down:





























































































What I Ate Today
Food NameServings/SizeCalsFatCarbProt
Vegetable Salad (no meat)3 cups39182
Ken's vinaigrette1/3 cup19214170
Cabot's cheddar cheese4 oz.44036024
2% milk3/4 cup.91496
chicken breast5 oz.27711042
Rice1/2 c.1030222
mixed vegetables1 cup.1070245
Glucosamine3 pills.18060
Cinnamon Toast Crunch2 c.3479643
Totals16237615084


Well, right away I can see one major problem. Cheese has got to go, especially cheddar cheese. That hurts because I love it so much! Still, the cost is too high!

I'll be back later with another day's breakdowns. I have to rest my fingers!

One thing I'm wondering: where did all that extra space around my tables come from?????

2 comments:

Cattiva said...

I would cut out the cereal, too. I had to learn this one by experimenting. I was recently diagnosed with gestational diabetes and my meal plan is a lot like Weight Watchers. You have to watch the carbs. I was AMAZED at how my blood sugar would spike after just a cup (the normal serving size) of a seemingly healthy cereal (like Special K with the strawberries & Grape Nuts). I have found that puffed rice is a really good alternative with less than half the carbs.

Good luck!

zandperl said...

Regarding the extra space in the table, blogger does that to me too. I'm guessing there's something in the template that does it. I don't know if it's fixable, but I wish I did!