January 10, 2006

Isolation

I'd bookmarked this newsletter from Beliefnet because I think it applies to me, to a lot of us.

Connections
Pay close attention to this fact: obesity is a disease of isolation. We are heavy because we are afraid of living, afraid of others, afraid of being a full person, afraid that truly changing is going to be too much effort. Something happened to us, or is currently happening and we want to feel better. We've learned to do it by popping edibles into our mouths. We soothe ourselves by watching too much TV, and eating too much. We avoid a lot of activities, and barely let anyone know us.

It's easier, we think, to stay home and avoid people. It's easier to feel better for a moment by stuffing a piece of cake or an extra sandwich into our mouths than it is to walk somewhere, or participate in a community event. (Sorry to be so dismal, but you know I'm telling the truth).

Fat people trade their lives for food.


Do you really want to get thinner forever? Connect with other people, and with nature. Ask God for help to get out of the kitchen or restaurant, out into the world with others and make some connections today. You may discover that there are other people who share the same feelings and problems as you.


I admit that I have a tendency to isolate myself. What worries me even more than that, though, is that I see my kids isolating themselves--the older two anyway.

Today my son and I went back to the gym and I got involved with water aerobics again. There were about 8 other people there and none of them were skinny Minnies. I can see that they might share some of the same feelings I have...how 'bout that? It's not just me!

How can I help my kids see that too?

No comments: