August 06, 2007

Dr. Weil's 3 Nutrition Tips for Arthritis

I really like Dr. Weil's website for all the useful information that can help me to live better and healthier. For instance, it's from his website (and not doctors) that I first learned how omega 3s can help my heart.

I suffer from arthritis in my neck, hands and spine and some days are pretty bad. So I find this information helpful:

3 Nutrition Tips for Arthritis

Stiffness, pain and swelling of joints are common symptoms of osteoarthritis. Aside from getting regular exercise (low-impact is the best) and maintaining a healthy weight, consider the following nutritional changes to help prevent or lessens symptoms.

Eat foods rich in antioxidants. Fresh fruits and vegetables are good sources, and may help reduce tissue damage from inflammation.
Get enough omega-3s. Oily fish such as wild Alaskan salmon, walnuts, freshly ground flaxseed or a good omega-3 supplement may help reduce the inflammation and pain of arthritis.
Regularly use ginger and turmeric for their natural anti-inflammatory properties.


Here again are the omega-3s. Luckily I have a new taste for fish I never had before! Also, I had no idea that ginger and turmeric had any anti-inflammatory properties. Well, I learn something new every day that can help me!

No comments: