August 26, 2007

Fibromyalgia Funk

I don't know from day to day whether or not I'm going to experience a fibromyalgia fog or funk. Many times, I feel great the day before. Sometimes I have some warning, like symptoms of IBS. Today I was supposed to go to a birthday party/clan gathering for TB's mother. I wasn't feeling well yesterday and when I woke up this morning, I knew I was in trouble. It wasn't just the pain, which is mostly from arthritis is my spine and hips.

When I'm in a fog or funk it's hard to move. I feel like I'm in a big vat of molasses. I'd like to get moving but it takes a great deal of effort and it's easier not to. My brain seems to slow down too--or this molasses like malaise gunks up the brain cells and the neurons don't fire. I can't remember words for things that I know and can't seem to put together a coherent sentence. If I am in the store, I can't seem to make a decision about whether or not to buy something--which brand? do we need it?

People don't understand. I mean, I didn't used to understand and many times I still don't. They think it's an excuse to get out of doing something or if you take some herbs and other remedies it'll take care of all the problems so you can live your life. Well, I don't know about that. I see the doctor every six months about it unless there's a big issue going on (like the bursitis in my hip). Ibuprofen isn't working so now I'm taking Alleve and it the pain is really bad I take tramadol.

Tramadol works but I don't like to take it because it can cause seizures especially in someone like me who also takes zoloft. With the other medications I take, the combination also tends to slow me down even further and makes me very very sleepy.

Needless to say, I didn't go to the party and I've taken some tramadol. TB, who worries a lot about me, also stayed home. He is worried about me because on days like this, my ability to move around is very limited and I become very depressed and also feel guilty. I was going to push myself to go to the party because I know that the family would be disappointed and upset. I think I would have been able to pull it off were it not a 2-1/2 to 3 hour drive one way. On days like this, it just hurts to sit that long and when I do get out of the car I feel like I can barely walk.

I really start my day out with lots of good intentions. I mean to stay in touch with family members and friends, mean to take my grandson out to have a fun time, go exercise, have fun with my own kids...and then all of a sudden I just feel like I got hit with a sledgehammer. I'm only 52. I don't like feeling this way at all.

No comments: