March 09, 2005

Diet Pill

Boy, I blew it big time today! I was angry with my stepdaughter (long story) and at the end of the big to-do, what did I do? No, not the Cadbury eggs...this time it was Reese's white chocolate peanut butter cups. I had my hubby go out and buy some for me even though I knew he was tired and even though I knew he'd end up buying junk for everyone. He bought "extras" and as I sat there swallowing them without tasting them, I knew I'd blown it.

When will I learn a better way to cope with stress? And this is even knowing how adversely the weight is affecting my health! Ah, friends say, don't be too hard on yourself. How can I not? I'm not going to beat myself up but I've got to hold myself accountable!

I always used to wish for a magic pill that I could take that would melt all the fat away and keep it off me. Apparently, there is a drug called Accomplia which isn't exactly magic but does seem to help get rid of and keep off a little weight. It sounds like it might be about ten percent, maybe 20 pounds? It's in its second study and so far people taking it have kept some weight off.

If you read the article, you see that it works by blocking out a part of the pleasure center in the brain. Ah! So if the endorphins don't start flowing, I wouldn't necessarily crave the chocolate? Or even if I did, I'd eat less of it? Sounds good ... I'd rather stay off the chocolate entirely because it's most definitely a red light food for me.

Anyway, I would be very happy to get just 10 percent of my weight off to start. I used to walk more when I was 40 lbs lighter and I walked even more when I was 20 lbs lighter than that. I need to get back to a manageable weight so that I can at least exercise.

I wouldn't mind trying a pill for that as long as there's no deadly side effects. Who will ever forget phen-fen?

No comments: