March 12, 2005

"Fat Actress"

I have never seen this show because we don't get Showtime. I do remember Kirstie Alley, though, from when she was on Cheers. Not long ago, I saw her in a movie and was shocked at the fat, frumpy character she played. Times change when you aren't a Barbie anymore. I shouldn't have been shocked.

I think she's become the new spokesperson for Jenny Craig or one of those other weight-loss plans. She really wants to lose weight. Good for her -- if she's doing it for the right reasons like becoming healthier.

I'm glad she's doing the series, too. Why shouldn't we have a program about a heavy person struggling to lose weight? So many of us are living that! And so what if she pokes fun at herself? I do that to myself all the time. It deflects the nasty jokes of others. Heavy people are perpetually picked on, especially in school. It's less effective if they are the ones that start the patter.

Fat acceptance groups have issues with the show because of the jokes and the self esteem issues (the character doesn't like having a big beautiful body). They think the show is taking things back instead of forward but I don't agree. Read more about that here. I don't think there's been a show like this before. It's really real.

The only other show I can think of that somewhat addressed the issues of weight loss and fat acceptance was Roseanne and the two stars poked fun at themselves from time to time. So what is the big deal?

I wish I could see this show for myself but I'm not going to order Showtime just to do that.

No comments: