March 07, 2005

Fighting the dreaded food cravings

I wish I wasn't such a know-it-all. Articles and lectures about fighting off cravings don't help me very much. For instance, there was this article today: Fighting Food Cravings. I'm just no longer impressed; now I am jaded and cynical. So tell me what else is new?

Yes, I know the difference between being really hungry and being in the middle of a craving. It doesn't help. The article even says that ... it says that we should try to plan ahead for the times we might crave food. It doesn't help. The article also says to do what works best for you -- either give in to the craving a little or suffer through it. I'd rather suffer through it because giving in usually means I'll also be craving the next night and the next and the next.

I noticed that I'm not having the same almost agonizing cravings I used to and the difference is prozac. Interesting? I used to take paxil which is in the same family and I would want chocolate so bad I would almost become dizzy with anxiety. I haven't experienced that in months, thank God ... not yet. It could happen again as my body develops a toleration for the prozac.

I know that it would be better for me to give in to a healthier choice other than refined sugary sweets or white flour carbs ... something like dried fruit or whole wheat crackers. I plan ahead and get that stuff as well as low fat cheese crackers and fresh fruit and no-fat yogurt and so on and so on but when the cravings were that bad, heck, I'd go out in a blizzard for ice cream. Well...more like I'd make my husband go out.

Don't be hard on myself? It's hard not to ... especially when I'm demanding ice cream in the middle of a snow storm. I mean, who would put their loved one in harm's way like that? I think it's disgusting and I can't be kind about it.

Today I had a handful of whole grain wheat crackers. I'm proud of myself ... but then, I wasn't having cravings.

No comments: