September 08, 2007

Fruits High In Antioxidants

There are cranberry bogs all around my community but I never see them for sale on the roadstands. Does Ocean Spray buy them all up? I wonder...

What brought this to mind was fruit salad. This morning TB and I went out to a diner for breakfast and I was in the mood for fresh fruit. I was in luck! I was served a platter of melons, strawberries and blueberries. I know from talking to one of the folks at a farmstand that the berries aren't in season anymore so I know what was in my salad wasn't local. Still, it was very tasty.

These fruits are especially high in antioxidants:

Blueberries
Cranberries
Blackberries
Prunes
Raspberries
Strawberries
Red delicious apples
Granny Smith apples
Sweet cherries
Black plums

Ah, and these are some of my favorite fruits although raspberries and blackberries are usually too expensive for us to buy.

I think our community used to be on a blueberry bog because our backyard sand has a blue hue to it when you dig down under the surface. I am wild for blueberries and never pass up an opportunity to buy them even if they are getting to be expensive now and imported from elsewhere at this point.

But where are all the cranberries?

No comments: