September 12, 2007

The Insulin Resistance Diet

I started reading the book again and this time I thought I'd take notes on what I learn...maybe I'll remember? Who knows! Anyway, I think I'll read it more slowly this time and maybe the concepts will stick this time!

Things I've learned so far:

1. Insulin regulates my blood sugar but it also stores fat. If my insulin level spikes to bring down levels of sugar, it'll store more fat. If I can keep my insulin levels from shooting up, I won't store so much fat and I could lose weight! The fatter I am, the more insulin resistant I become, meaning that my cells won't take incoming glucose--which means they become stored as fat!

2. Insulin resistance used to be known as "Syndrome X". Researchers knew in the late 1980s that a cluster of dangerous health conditions existed in some individuals but they didn't know what was causing it. More recently, they found that insulin resistance is the culprit in metabolic syndrome--cardiac artery disease, hypertension, type II diabetes, obesity and stroke are all health problems stemming from it. Scary!

3. I have high blood pressure and even though I'm taking medication for it, damage is still occurring. Scarier!

4. Skin tags can be an indication you're developing type II diabetes--I sure wish I'd known that!

5. What makes insulin resistance worse? Caffeine and stress cause insulin levels to rise. Guilty guilty guilty! I drink lots of coffee and am under a great deal of stress. Am I doomed? I hope not!

No comments: