September 16, 2007

What Helps Control Insulin Resistance

This seems a no-brainer: nutrition and exercise. I'm learning about what it is and so I figured I'll make note of it, especially since I'm not doing so great in those areas anyway.

The medication I used to take, metformin, tries to work against insulin resistance by limiting the amount of glucose the liver releases. I didn't know that overnight, when I'm sleeping and not eating, my liver seems to think I might starve and releases sugar! I don't need it but my body doesn't realize it. Now the doctor has changed my medication to glucovance. It's got metformin plus another medication in it. Some medications have the sugar released for energy.

There are natural supplements that can help to reduce glucose:

Chromium supposedly stabilizes glucose in the blood and can help curb my cravings for carbs.

People with insulin resistance often don't have enough magnesium and potassium. What do these two minerals do and why are they so important? The book didn't explain.

Something called vanadium acts like insulin. What foods can you eat to get it? I don't know--the book didn't say, not yet anyway.

Garcinia cambogia is another one I've never heard of. Something in it signals the liver to store the glucose there and not as fat.

The book warns that taking too much of the supplements can be toxic. I intend to research more on each of these things but won't take any of them until I talk to the doctor.

No comments: