May 07, 2005

Lost Another 2 lbs!

It may not seem like much but it sure is a small step in the right direction! I am so happy. I am about where I was when I fell into that vat of Reese's white chocolate peanut butter cups. I'm still not exercising as much as I'd like to but I'm hoping if I can continue to lose I'll feel better (in less pain) and will be able to take up walking regularly.

I stopped having anything to eat after dinner and that has definitely been a big help! It's also helped that I haven't felt hungry or had cravings for foods. I'm not sure why that is because there was a time that I would have these chocolate cravings several times a night. I better not tempt fate by talking about it, eh?

I found a site that has helped me stay away from fast food. This one is called Fast Food Calorie Counter and I have been really shocked to see how loaded my meals are even when I went from super-size to medium.

Five years ago, my typical meal from Mickey D's was a super-size diet soda, double cheese quarter pounder and super fries which, I learned, came to well over 1200 calories. I don't even think super size meals exist anymore, a concession made by the fast food industry!

I switched to getting the medium size big & tasty cheeseburger meal but when I checked this website last month I was dismayed to see that I was still eating up near 1000 calories for just one meal and that there was 49 g of fat in it! ARGH, better try the kid's double cheeseburger meal I decided. Well... that's a little better but it's still 690 calories & 34 g of fat!

What's left?

A nice healthy salad, right? It depends on which salad. If you get a salad with grilled chicken, it'll have around 200-260 calories in it and 6-11 g of fat. But if you want crispy chicken, add on another 100 calories and another 5-7 g of fat. Then there's the dressing ...

Somehow, it just doesn't seem worth the money. Why am I going to pay more than $5 for a salad and a drink? And that salad won't have various lettuce greens, carrots, broccoli, green peppers and other goodies.

After finagling with this counter, I'm not loving it anymore.

Ah, Wendy's ... they have salads and chili and all kinds of good stuff...or do they? I was dismayed to see how many calories and grams of fat are in the salads!

I checked Burger King salads and they seem to have the healthiest choices but ...

is this really what I want? Fast food salad?

I think I'll pass and make myself something at home.

2 comments:

Cuevas said...

I think if you are serious about losing weight you should stop eating fast food completely. Have you ever seen the movie "Super Size Me"? I suggest you watch it. It's about a man who ate nothing but McDonalds for a whole month and what happened to his body. I haven't been able to eat McDonalds since.

Stacey said...

Congrats on the loss! In my book down is always better no matter how small you think it is, unless you are gaining weight from muscle and I'm ok with that. :) Remember to do what is best for you and your goals, that has helped me tune out some comments about my program. I am glad you are making yourself aware of what is in fast food, now you can make informed choices. Most people tell you to stay away, which is good in the beginning, but I still eat it every now and then and alter the calorie intake for the rest of the day, or do more cardio at some point. Again, congrats and do you!