April 28, 2005

The New Pyramid

I remember when the government changed their dietary guidelines from groups to a pyramid. I remember how people everywhere carried on about it ... either they loved it or they hated it. For me, it simplified everything a good deal and I liked it. It was incorporated into our Weight Watcher meetings as we learned to use it.

Years later, Americans just seemed fatter and unhealthier. Hmmm...maybe there's something wrong with the pyramid! Maybe we shouldn't be basing it on carbs (grains & breads, that is). As the government revised their guidelines, many Americans went low-or-no carb.

Now we have a new pyramid that is individualized. To top it off, there's a little person climbing up. That's to show us how important exercise is. ;)

I read an article today by Lloyd Garner. He poked some fun at the new and improved pyramid but he mostly focused on how we keep changing what we think about being overweight. There's a study out that claims people who are "slightly" overweight live longer than people who are under weight. It's a good piece and you can read it here.

I went to My Pyramid because I was intrigued by the idea of having a personalized plan I didn't have to pay for! You enter in some information about yourself and how much exercise you get and then you have your very own recommendations! You can also track your eating and exercising and see how you do over a period of time. I like that idea a lot!

I plugged in the information for myself and found out some things that were a bit unsettling. I wasn't surprised to learn I should be eating about 1800 calories considering my age and lack of strenuous exercise. When I clicked on a button indicating I wanted to lose weight, I got a screen with huge red letters telling me I must consult with my doctor before doing anything else because I am severely obese! Well, at least it didn't say morbidly although I'm sure that's what severely means too.

I also plugged in all the food I ate and was disagreeable UN-surprised to see I'd eaten over my limit ... not by much. If I'd left off the hamburger and cut down on something else I would have been fine.

It's a start. It's fun to do right now and hopefully I won't get bored with it!

1 comment:

The Complimenting Commenter said...

It's always great to try and find new things that work for you. I hope that this new pyramid helps you. Here's hoping you get even healthier!