April 30, 2005

Alzheimer's and Obesity

It's always something! Just last week, the government came out with a study that showed slightly overweight people could outlive skinny people. Don't get complacent though because now there is a study linking obesity with Alzheimer's and other forms of dementia! Read the article here. The article talks about why this might happen when you are overweight but I have a theory of my own:

The fatter I got, the more embarrassed I became to be seen in public. I am practically a recluse at this point. I don't even sit out in my back yard much. I think without having lots of interaction with other people, my brain will begin to deteriorate faster. I mean, of course I talk to my dh and kids every day but it's not quite the same. I might be totally wrong here but I wouldn't be surprised if there's not some connection.

I was reading LTF's post from the other day. She and I both have husbands who will happily run out and buy us snack foods ... even if we don't really want them. My dh is like hers -- life is to be enjoyed and so is food! Well...today I made a little bargain with DH to get him more on my page of the program.

Both of us need to lose over 100 lbs. I suggested that we treat ourselves to an overnight stay away from home each time we lose 50 lbs. Once we get down to goal, we should go away for 3-4 days or a week. He liked that idea but wasn't bubbling over with enthusiasm. Why? Well, even when we lose 50 lbs we aren't going to want to show ourselves on a beach. But just because we go away for a day and a night doesn't mean it has to be to a beach ... just a break away from it all to reward ourselves.

Later, DH thought about it and said, hey, he'd really like to go out dancing again. I thought, I'm not such a great dancer but yes, that would be fun! So that could be another reward when we lose like 75-100 lbs. I would enjoy that and I probably wouldn't feel too self conscious.

DH's goal is to get down to around 200 lbs. He loves techno-stuff and there's a very expensive digital camera he's been drooling over. I suggested that when he gets down to 200 lbs we should get the camera.

Maybe we're learning?

No comments: