July 19, 2005

Approved!

I am back from a weekend trip to my son's college -- student orientation for the kids and a sort of "how to let go" and "what to expect" conference for the parents. Technically, it should only take us 4-1/2 hours to get there but between changing drivers and the traffic it takes 6. The drive really wipes me out!

I got some good news today: the surgeon's office called and said my insurance company approved my reduction surgery. I'm set for September 2nd!

On the down side, I've not lost a pound.

Maybe my scale is busted? I've been drinking water, walking, and eating smaller portions. Could this all be in my head?

Worry, worry, worry. On the one hand, I want this surgery because I know I will feel and look better. On the other, I'm afraid of it. I have a fear that I am so overweight my heart will just give out on the operating table and that will be the end of me. I think to myself: so, is it better to live longer and suffer? Or ... is it better to take a risk?

I'm taking a risk.

I'm still scared.

So it really helped to find this in my email box:

Worries
by Norris Chumley

Do you have negative thoughts -- of inferiority, fear, dread, worthlessness, or anxiety about something?

They're only thoughts. They're probably not true. Think about that today.

Start by identifying your worries and self-doubts. It helps me to write my problems down on paper. Then, I humbly pray and ask God to help me deal with them, rising above the fear and self-loathing.

It's easy for me to now say, both in the middle of worries myself but also on the other side of most of them, that I know you are going to be OK.

Give all the worries to your Maker, and know that you are going to be all right.


So I will.

1 comment:

welfare mum said...

That's right! You take that risk!
It will be okay. And you'll feel worlds better