July 05, 2005

The Weekend

I was hoping to post yesterday but just didn't get a chance! I watched Elton John's performance in Philadelphia. He's gotten older, like me, and he has wrinkles and has gotten "fluffy" like me. Still, he smiled and was very engaged with the audience and looked very happy. He sounded terrific! He's been one of my favorites since the 1970s and based on his music and all the good work he's doing, he really is entitled to his knighthood. Sir Elton, with more than a touch of class.

There is something I'm not taking in anymore that is causing me to feel very very hungry. I'm thinking it's fat -- like that 2% milk and real butter. I've been eating lots of fresh fruit and veggies as usual. The difference is that this time I've eliminated the little extras I used to indulge in ... like that 2% milk.

When I used to go to Weight Watchers in NY, we had this really great leader who would tell it like it is. "You're going to be hungry." But why? I'm eating the portion sizes I'm supposed to be eating. I'm filling up on good, healthy food ... It's because that good healthy food doesn't settle to the bottom of my stomach and keep me full. Everything moves along ... and then I start to get hungry.

I know I'm going to get hungry. The idea is to plan how to deal with it. Drink extra water? Write some more? Read a book? Whatever it is ... I have to deal with it because I am determined to lose the weight I want to lose by September!

The weekend had its ups and downs but for the most part I am happy with the foods I ate. I've been buying lots of fresh fruit and vegetables for the family. On the down side, it's expensive! It just isn't fair that the good stuff has to be so darn costly.

I took my daughter to the doctor today and we were there for awhile. We were hungry when we left and so I went over to Subway -- no McDonald's, thank you! Right next door was a Salad Works. We'd never been there before and so we went to check it out ... and it's good but very pricey!

I guess I'll go so broke eating healthy stuff I won't have anything left for junk. :P

On Saturday, we went to see War of the Worlds, which is an excellent movie! Since I was a kid, popcorn has always been a part of the go-to-the-movies experience. The last few times I've gone, (the time before was seeing Madagascar with my granddaughter) I haven't gotten any popcorn and I have to say ... it's been very weird. Not only have I not gotten popcorn, I haven't gotten anything, not even soda or water. Once the movie starts I'm okay with it but it's been really tough during the time you wait for it to start. All around me was the smell of popcorn and I could hear people crunching and smacking. I wonder if I'll ever get used to it? It's kind of a drag to have to struggle with the buy-it-don't-buy-it issue for 30 minutes every time I go...maybe I'll just rent the movies from now on. :P

2 comments:

Tinnocker said...

Works for me sweetie, we'll just rent them when they come out on DVD. Wait! I mean after the ones that are coming out soon, like Stealth and 4 brothers. We just HAVE to see them on the big screen, right?
PS:I struggled with the snack stuff too!

S.H.M.I.L.Y.

Anonymous said...

take along some sugar free hard candies to suck on and get yourself an ice cold water. It's too much torture to sit there for me so I sneak in my own fat free popcorn in my big purse! :)