July 21, 2005

Fibromyalgia & Exercise

Some days, for no particular reason that I'd been able to figure out, my joints, back and shoulders would ache so much I didn't want to move. Some of it is due to arthritis, some to old tendon injuries in my hands and some I just attributed to excessive weight and aging. I finally went to see a rheumatologist and was totally taken aback when he said that I have fibromyalgia.

Since then, I've been reading some material and learned that one thing it seems to do well is enhance pain you already have. I've been trying to get my mind around that one. Does that mean I should "tough it out", "suck it up", "deal with it"? I think in part, yes.

The doctor told me how important it is to exercise. Oh, I know that ... I used to walk everywhere and used to be physically fit even if I was somewhat overweight. Now, though, it hurts. But that's the part I've just got to tough out because exercise would make me a little more flexible and reduce the pain.

Today I got on the treadmill and walked 30 minutes. I walked at a rate of about 2 mph and I don't think that does anything for me cardiovascularly but I figured I could increase the speed as I build up tolerance. I started out walking 15 minutes, then 20 and now am up to 30 and I'd started at 1.5 mph (a real snail's pace!). My left foot throbbed painfully about 15 minutes into it but I figured I would just keep going.

I got another one of those inspirational messages in my email box today saying that every time I try to get out of exercising and everytime I am about to eat something I shouldn't, I should say to myself: Why are you trying to hurt yourself? That's a good idea...and I think if I can't come up with a logical answer then I should get on that dreadmill or put back that extra serving of chili.

I also got this from Dr. Weil's Wellness Bulletin:

Weekly Bulletin

07.21.2005

Featured Article
Fibromyalgia

Fibromyalgia is a syndrome that combines pain, fatigue, anxiety, and depression. Research suggests it is caused by imbalances of chemicals and hormones in the nervous system that amplify sensation, making even a slight touch feel painful. The super-sensitivity to pain that characterizes fibromyalgia seems to be genetic - the disorder tends to runs in families. However, if you are born with a predisposition to fibromyalgia, you still need to experience an event to trigger the disorder - that is, something must happen to set it off. This can be a viral infection, emotional stress, an accident or injury, or even exposure to certain drugs or chemicals.

If you do have fibromyalgia, your best bet for dealing with it is 30 minutes of daily aerobic exercise such as swimming, walking or biking. Do what you can - it may be painful, but exercise is one of the best ways to lessen the effects of fibromyalgia. Breath work, meditation and yoga can help you cope with stress, and acupuncture, manipulation, and massage may help relieve symptoms. Dietary changes may help too. Try the following:

Eliminate polyunsaturated vegetable oils, margarine, vegetable shortening, all partially hydrogenated oils, and all foods that might contain trans-fatty acids (such as deep-fried foods). Use extra-virgin olive oil as your main fat.
Increase intake of omega-3 fatty acids.

Eat more fruits and vegetables, preferably organic.

Eat ginger and turmeric regularly.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Some good advice in your article. I also have found that cutting out acid foods helps, particularly oranges and tomotoes. Some articles I have read sugest cutting out all the 'nightshades' (potato, tomato, tobacco). Also, a 'liver detox' weekend every month also gives my system a boost. Good luck with your condition, I hope you find many ways to improve.

Anonymous said...

I have that, too. I've had it since 1996 and mine came from emotional stress when my daughter was diagnosed with cancer. And oh boy.. we could talk for hours about it. I have "the book" on it if you ever want to know anything. Oh, speaking of the book. (the other one) I've been reading it and slowly soaking it up. Love it. Can't wait to get even more into it. The first 5 chapters were things I already knew so I was a bit fussy over that. But I think it looks promising!

Mama Mouse said...

I'm sorry you have this ... but at least you KNOW now. You can work on it ... help to alleviate the symptoms and at least have a good excuse why you MUST exercise!!

Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Hello, I'm also "blessed" with this disease. I have found that taking suppliments Osteobiflex, and malic acid both help with the pain. If you don't like suppliments, eating lots of apples (including the skin) will provide you with malic acid.