June 14, 2005

Instant Family Fitness

I took a chance last Christmas and slipped a book called Instant Family Fitness into my younger stepdaughter's stocking. Like TB and me, she is obese and I'm sure it's not just coincidence. Yes, there may be a genetic connection but I also think it's got to do with the way we eat and the lack of exercise. My stepdaughter would like to think it's all genetics and there's nothing else we can do except eat, drink, be merry and die.

"Are you saying I'm fat?" she asked me that morning.

Why state the obvious? "If you look at the book, you'll see it's about keeping the family 'healthy and happy'," I told her. No where on there does it say "fat" or "diet".

The back of the book says: "Getting and staying in shape is not just for individuals anymore -- it's a family affair. Childhood obesity has been identified as a major problem by the U.S. Surgeon General and parents need a solution quickly. Instant Family Fitness is the easy-to-follow road map to getting your entire family in shape. Detailed meal plans, easy recipes, exercises for all ages and motivational tools willl help you improve your loved ones' health and habits. This is the only book you need to shape up your entire family. Based on the latest research, studies and drawing from the experience of leading experts from the field of weight loss, Instant Family Fitness is the one book that will help you get results instantly."

When said SD moved out, she left the book behind. I'm not surprised and am actually glad to have it. I am sure I could benefit from it, especially since it focuses on families of all ages. With the eating dysfunctions I've got, I'm sure I could learn a lot from the book and hopefully can pass some of that information on to my kids and to my older stepdaughter.

There was a news clip on TV about childhood obesity and how lack of exercise really has a big impact on kids. Kids need to exercise an hour a day, including recess and playing outdoors. Now that schools are virtually eliminating lunch periods, parents really need to be aware of the fact that they've got to blast the kids out from in front of the TV and get them outdoors. I didn't put on my weight until I stopped playing outdoors. It really does make a difference. I could go into a whole other rant about how schools are doing away with recess...and I probably will!

Getting back to the book, though, I think what I'll do is make a note of the things I learn and write them down here.

No comments: