June 02, 2005

Small Positives

Yesterday was my wedding anniversary; TB and I have been married 3 years already! We decided to go out for dinner and went to TGIFriday's. It was a mixed experience in terms of my self esteem and success in choosing healthier foods.

The waiter took us to a booth. TB and I usually eat at tables because we just don't fit well in the booths anymore. I thought I would try and with seconds realized my big chest and tummy would not squeeze comfortably into the booth. "Can we have a table?" I asked, feeling my face burn hotly.

I looked at the stuff on the menu and knew what I wanted to eat. My favorite is the pecan crusted chicken but I suspect it's got a lot of calories because it's full of nuts, raisins, and bleu cheese chunks. I thought I might like a steak and picked the smallest one -- an 8 oz. skillet steak. I also got brocooli without butter and a salad. Next time, I'd get the dressing on the side. The salad was good but drowned in dressing. The steak was grilled perfectly and the broccoli was crisp but not chewy. It was a great meal.

Dessert? I thought it would be better to pass but I couldn't do it. So I looked at my choices and decided picking something with chocolate in it would be a terrible mistake. I decided on the vanilla cheesecake. It was good but not worth the calories. Next time, I'll talk myself into skipping the sweet stuff.

I know I must stay away from chocolate to avoid the worst cravings and that I succeeded yesterday made me feel good. It's hard for me not to order chocolate on the very rare occasions we go out because I get this "it's been so long, I deserve a treat" type feeling. Last night, at least, I was able to tell myself: yes, you deserve a treat but having something chocolate is like having a drink or a cigarette ... you just can't. So I didn't. And that makes me feel good. :)

But I need to get down to the point where I can sit in a booth again!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

May I suggest this book?

http://www.futurecasts.com/book%20review%204-11.htm

"Eat, Drink and Be Healthy"

It changed all of our dietary habits. Good luck with your efforts. I know its hard. Don't give up!

Gem said...

Just surfed by from Blog Soldiers. Good job on your night out -- you enjoyed yourself w/o going overboard. It's usually harder to avoid splurging when you just have a little, I admire you for trying the dessert and still not giving in to overdoing it! Hang in there!!!