June 30, 2005

Reduction Surgery

I finally worked up the courage to show up for an appointment with a plastic surgeon to discuss breast reduction.

Along with the rest of my body, my breasts have been extremely heavy. Actually, even when I lost 75 lbs with Weight Watchers the only part of me that didn't shrink was those boobs. I often feel like I need a wheelbarrow to move them around and sometimes the pain in my neck, back and shoulders is excrutiating.

I first asked about surgery not long after my youngest was born -- this is going back to 1992. At the time, I was 50 lbs overweight and my doctor said, "lose the weight and if it's still a problem, I'll give you a referral." Well, I lost the weight but chickened out. Besides, my first husband said, "I love you just the way you are" and I thought, eh, why change?

Now I've gained all the weight back and even though my first husband passed away my hubby now says the same thing: I love you just the way you are. But, he adds, you need to do this. I have indentations in my arms from the bra straps. I can't stand looking at myself in the mirror or in pictures. Yup, I need to do this.

So I went to the doctor yesterday and he was great, really put me at ease. He didn't scold me about my weight or tell me that I might die on the table cuz I'm so fat. He matter-of-factly explained how he would do the surgery (ew, sounds gross!) and that his main concern was that I might lose sensation in my nipples and scar. You know what? I don't care about that ... if I could just look normal again!

I decided to double-up my effort to lose weight faster in the next 8 weeks. My surgery is tentatively scheduled for September 2. My goal is to lose 18-20 pounds by then...that's around 2 lbs a week. That's not unreasonable is it?

To help me do that, I'm digging up all my WW resources. The last time I was with WW, everything was on a point system. I know that things have changed since then but I can't afford the new program. I think if I weigh what I eat and keep track of everything that will make a big difference. I need support but I think I can find that online! :D

No comments: